Sunday 9 November 2014

Dreaming of a Magical Christmas!

Welcome to Magpieheaven, where I've been getting into the Christmas spirit early for once! I'm not usually the most organized of Magpies and I don't know how long this will last - but - I think it's the discovery of how much fun making master-boards can be that has changed my life! Today I'd like to share a Christmas ATC I've created for a swap and which I am linking to the Artistic Stamper Challenge here. I started with some sheets of card which I painted with Stone PaperArtsy Fresco paint.
I then had so much fun just stencilling and brayering and stamping with inks and paints! I've been enjoying using Jo Firth Young's delightful little mini snowflake stamp for PaperArtsy. It looks magical when used with Snowflake Fresco and enclosed in circles created by lids dipped into puddles of paint!
Stamping with paint creates great effects, but you do have to clean the stamp immediately, as paint dries on very quickly! I also stamped some script from Sara Nauman's Eclectica plate in Snowflake and Archival ink. These sheets are going to be so useful for Christmas card and tag backgrounds and each one will be different so I can feel that each recipient will be getting a unique card.
I had just as much fun creating my own Washi Tape with masking tape painted with Stone Fresco, stencils and stamping. Again Jo's snowflake was really useful and I used different colours of Archival ink to stamp some Lynne Perrella crowns and her 'Winter Wonderland' text. I didn't want to stop! Lin Brown's stencil with little circles looks so Christmasy when you use Snowflake Fresco. The idea for using this stencil on a Christmas make came from Lucy Edmondson at True Colours. But which stamp to use for my focal image on my Christmas ATC?
I recently invested in the beautiful Oxford Impressions Halloween plate 'Trick or Treat' because I had fallen for the two little pierrots! Now this couple look far more like characters from a long ago Christmas entertainment to me so I decided to use them for this ATC. They are stamped onto tissue and adhered to the card with Satin Glaze. I liked the idea of the background of Stone, Lake Wanaka, Antarctic and Snowflake Frescos not being lost behind the images so I did not paint them. I used white pen to highlight them and sprinkled their ruffs with Tim Holtz clear Distress Glitter. The taller little reveller has tiny blue and white glass beads on his costume and I punched a snowflake out of card spritzed with Vintage Photo and Frayed Burlap Distress Inks, decorated with Shabby Blue Frantage, White Pen and Pearlen Pen at the centre.
 Is this a couple of siblings all ready to head off for a Christmas party, or a pair of entertainers in a traditional panto? If they are 'Theatricals', they will be enchanting parents and children night after night in the plush red and gold interiors of crowded theatres . Enchanted by the fairy-tale before their eyes, the middle-class boys and girls in the audience will be unaware of the cold and shabby backstage world; the hard grind of being a child performer and the poor homes from which these 'magical' children came.   Now I have completed my first Christmas ATC, which I should like to link to the Artistic Stamper Christmas is Coming Challenge. I expect lots of you have already got well underway with card-making: I hope you have just as much fun as I've had creating your Christmas makes in the coming weeks!

15 comments:

  1. I love this atc, Julie Ann.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh the joy of making master boards!! I love this Julie Ann! Love your thoughts on who they may be! I'll e-mail you with mine….Hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the muted background colours and the washi and all the background stamping and the main images are just perfect. Getting excited about these Julie Ann! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful ! The Pierrots do work as Christmas images, especially magic ones!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your ATC is enchanting and I love your process and that you did not color in those little fellows- who by the way are just too adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous masterboard and your atc looks superb with your two little Halloween characters, just shows how versatile stamps can be xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous creations yet again....I am loving the handmade washi tapes

    Big hugs
    Donna xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning backgrounds Julie Ann and a gorgeous ATC.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Liking the colours very much, cold crunchy winter colours brrrr. Gorgeous ATC but am really loving your masterboard and washi tapes:-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Miss Julia Ann, well you have changed my life because of you I too love to create master boards, I love to make my own washi tape, funny, I was thinking the same thing with my stamped images on tissue, I love how us Magpies, even though we are thousands mile away our thoughts are on the same wave length, amazing. Any wow, your master board is spectacular, your are a MASTER with those paints, oh man I love your washi tape, its just stunning, and only you could take 2 Halloween stamps and create them into Christmas images, that is just BRILLIANT,, then your wonderful imagination to create a another fabulous story to go with it, myfriend was over yesterday and we were oohing ans awing over this tiny Atc with all the amazing detail, you blew us away, I love your wintery ATC. Thanks for always inspiring me to flyer higher then I ever dreamed possible, hope you have a wonderful week, my kindred spirit, (((( HUGE HUGS ))))..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh... even better! Love the colours you've put together - so wintry, and the layered stamping is fabulous. Lovely work! Thank you for another great entry over at The Artistic Stamper.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your masterboards & washi tape are so beautiful & Christmassy Julie Ann, & I love your little ATC! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really must have a go at a masterboard! After quite a few years of stamping I can't believe I've not yet tried it, lol! Your's is wonderful and the washi tape is great too. Lovely colours and layers of stamping. I love the white highlights on your main image.

    Hugs
    Lesley Xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow such gorgeous ATC, I so wish I had been in that swap lol. The backgrounds you have done are truly awesome. Kezzy :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete

Due to high level of spam recently I have enabled comment moderation on this blog, so any comments will be moderated before appearing on the blog.