Friday 12 April 2013

A Winter Journal

My son bought me a beautiful Lynne Perella book for Christmas on creating an art journal. I was so inspired by it I started journaling and I said that if I ever got a blog off the ground I would post some of the pages. Here is the first one. My inspiration for the theme of this page was my all-time favourite of pierrots and carnival, of course, but also going into the garden in the depths of winter and hearing the song of one bird in the bitter chill. I have used Fresco paints in Inky Pool, Beach Hut, Limelight and London Bus and @Paper Artsy stamps - Ink and the Dog and Lynne Perella as well as @Retro Cafe Art parrot, harlequin stencils, a Wendy Vecchi mounted rubber stamp and some lace and gems.
I made pockets by folding back and under and then sticking down with tape, the two top pages on each side of the sketch book. The pockets contain little cards with my thoughts about the bird-song written on them. That experience of hearing the bird singing in the wintry sky did seem to fit quite well with the idea of pierrots and harlequins - I can never decide if they're incredibly joyous or really poignant .
When I looked at the @Paper Artsy Helen Chilton challenge this week, I noticed that she too had used Ink and the Dog stamps with Lynne Perella. I had used Snowflake for highlights and black outlining too, so I felt I was in good company. I can't enter this page for the draw because it is not a new project and I did not photograph it step by step. However, as I become a better blogger I hope to be able to create more step by step posts.
Here is a close-up of one of the pierrots. His hat is made from a painted vintage book page - I was pleased that the lettering happened to say 'the twin', as there are 2 pierrots on the double page! I love these Lynne Perella images because they are so adaptable. I am so excited at the prospect of the new LP stamps launched this weekend, I just wish I could get to Ally Pally!
This is one of the little cards. On one side was a Lynne Perella image, on the reverse side was the Tim Holz bird outside its cage and a message written on it. The little ribbon loops can be pulled to remove the card from the pockets.
This last picture focuses on the twin pierrots! This page will always remind me of hearing exquisite bird song on a cold January day.
If there is anyone out there, thank you for looking and have a great weekend.



6 comments:

  1. Hi Julie,
    Love the layout of your altered book page, I did something similar a while ago on a workshop with Diane Reavley. I am not one for faces, but you have won me over with the birdies, cages on your tags and the lovely colours.
    Hugs Mo x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks, Mo! I love Diane Reavley's work. Thanks for taking the time to look and comment; it means a lot. xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello and Welcome to Blogland! Your blog is wonderful and so is your artwork, really love all of the tiny details!
    Thanks so much for dropping by and paying me a little visit.
    Everything here is beautifully creative, keep up the amazing work!
    Best Regards,
    Sandra Evertson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. This is so encouraging;you have inspired me to go creating and blogging. Have a wonderful, creative day!
      Julie x.

      Delete
  4. Wow, this looks amazing! Welcome to the mad world of blogging.... come and see me too - you should be able to find me from my profile!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving the blog Julie, and the work with these Lynne Perrella stamps is fabulous! Your work with the Fresco's is fantastic! Thanks so much for sharing with us all and keep it up!!

    I think the 'blog followers button' thing is a widget available from the template settings in blogger.

    But if you tweet links to you new posts, and acquire a bunch of followers on twitter, then you will get exposure that way too - Helen (comment above) has a list of tweet people who are craft who you could start following, and they will come and check you out! Ask her, she's a blog, FB and twitter master!

    Leandra

    ReplyDelete

Due to high level of spam recently I have enabled comment moderation on this blog, so any comments will be moderated before appearing on the blog.