Thursday 7 November 2013

Inspired Again!

Welcome to Magpieheaven, where I've actually made a start on Christmas cards at last! Alison Bomber has been creating such beauty over at Paper Artsy that I just had to do another project as a result of her inspiration. I would love to have made a little house and I might try this as a kind of Christmas decoration, but all I had time for before Sunday noon is a card, so I decided to adapt Alison's use of backgrounds and her Crackle Glaze technique again for my first Christmas Card of the Season. Also I wanted to meet the challenge of Fashionable Stamping for the first time. The challenge this time is Laura's and it's to stamp with anything other than ink, so I decided to see how I got on with stamping using Fresco Finish paint and then embossing with clear enamel: something I've wanted to try for a long time. Do take a look at Alison's wonderful PA projects and the inspiration offered over at The Fashionable Stamping Challenge. I should like to enter this card for the Paper Artsy Draw and The Fashionable Stamping Challenge #60.
If you are a follower, you will know how much I love detail! Probably by the time I've reached the week before Christmas I'll be admitting defeat and going for the Clean and Simple approach, but for this first card I really wanted to play with ideas and techniques. I always connect fairy stories with Christmas - they are a tradition just like ghost stories! And the story I always loved and then came to share with my own children is that of 'The Snow Queen'. The card I created reminded me of Hans Christian Andersen's tale. Maybe it all grew out of trying out Alison's technique of stencilling backgrounds, spritzing them and adding distress inks and stamping and this reminded me of frost fronds, which in turn starting me thinking about little Girda and Kay who loved to watch the frost patterns on their window pane in the story. I created a background on a tag and a rectangle of card using stencils and Fresco Finish paints in Lake Wanaka, Mermaid, Cinnamon, Honeydew and - of course - Snowflake. I made my own snowflake stencil, which I dabbed on in Snowflake FF and then embossed with clear embossing powder. I used Squeezed lemonade, Broken China and Walnut Stain distress inks too. On the card itself I made my base Claudine Helmuth's Gesso with Frantage scattered
over it in shades of Shabby Blue and Aged Rose. Now for my central stamped image! As always, if you would like to see more detail just click on the images themselves.
I was really nervous about this, my heart was in my mouth, as I had only ever stamped with paint for backgrounds and the script had always been rather blurry! For this image I used a 'Lost Coast' stamp of a kind of butterfly woman. I think the Snow Queen was a bit of shape changer, so I reckon this could be a form she might take, a kind of frost fairy! I stamped South Pacific  Fresco onto a background of blended Lake Wanaka and Mermaid and then very quickly covered with Stampendous clear embossing powder! To my amazement, I was really pleased with the lovely, glossy result. I cleaned the stamp quickly too, so the paint didn't stain it. I then accented the wings with some Frantage and had a tiny leaf punched from a Woodware punch fluttering in front. I stuck the image on with tiny sponge pads to give a 3D impression.
I loved the Crackled arches that Alison used on both her projects. On this one I decided to create the impression of a mirror peeping out from behind my tag, the mirror that is so important in the Snow Queen story. For this I used the Tim Holtz frame/bookplate from his tag die. I painted it with Little Black Dress, then Crackle glaze and a top coat of Lake Wanaka. I've edged it with Treasure Gold and added a silvery pearl. You might be able to see how I stuck a strip of transparent ribbon along the top and bottom of the card so that the Gesso and Frantage 'snow' would show through the frosty ribbon. I really played around with Stickles and Frantage everywhere too!
The Christmas sentiment is from a Lynne Perrella Christmas plate from Paper Artsy LP 016. I used seam-binding dyed in the colours of distress inks used on the card and used a Tim Holtz 'On the Edge' die, frantaged and painted to form a border of snow crystals. I should like to enter this card for the Paper Artsy Challenge and Fashionable Stamping Challenges. Thank you for stopping by to look at what I have been doing today and thank you to Alison for her inspiration at Paper Artsy this week and to Laura and her colleagues at Fashionable Stamping Challenges for challenging me to use 'anything but ink' on my first Christmas Card of 2013.

22 comments:

  1. Gorgeous make and fab crackle

    Sam xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful detail and very helpful explanation, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, Julie Ann, this is a beautiful card and I love how you interpreted the story in your card, you always do that so well! I do wonder how many more you'll do in this detail too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a gorgeous creation, great deatails.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning! I have to say, I was looking at it and thinking, she is completely and totally mad, insane, off her rocker if she makes up batches of those to post to everyone... oh but what a fabulous card it is and I want to be on your Chrstmas card list... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how I wish my mind worked in the same way as yours! Your imagination is a wonderful thing when it makes you create such a beautiful card. Someone is going to be very lucky when they receive that.

    Hugs
    Lesley Xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful and wintery, really captures the season perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic card. Wonderful idea and texture. Lake wanaka is cool! I love it.(soon mine is come... :-)
    Etsuko xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous Christmas creation...Love the wintery colours & the texture is fabulous...Love it....Hugs May x x x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely stunning!!!
    Wishing you a wonderful weekend Julie Ann xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. How I love this. The beautiful background, the colour palette, such a soft, vintage style of blue, so very appealing. That dash of sparkle, it is all such perfection.
    It is lovely to visit your art, so glad I now know where you are :)
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is an amazing post, a fabulous story, a card NEVER an amazing piece of art work, I'd say, there is so much work on this piece, bless you if you can make more of these.. Wow I love both of those backgrounds, 2 in one card, CRAZY, but aweeeeesome, love those trees, the crackled framed mirror, brilliant, that butterfly with the snow Queens face spectacular, that little Christmas sign is FABULOUSSSS, WOW what a outstanding card, you have done Miss Alison proud, isn't she blowing up the web, inspiring so many artist. This is designer quality work my dear, you make the Magpie Parliament proud once again.. Head bowed, wings together Namaste to you my dear cousin, hope you have a wonderful weekend, I'm excited to see the Fairies :O).. ((( BIG HUGS )))...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful details for sure...love the frantage on your piece. Can't join the challenge this week and I am starting to regret it seeing your projects!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so beautiful, Julie Ann - gorgeous delicate colours, and the crackle looks just wonderful. I love the South Pacific stamping with the lovely glossy embossing over the top - and the Frantage is a perfect finishing touch. Just delightful! Thanks so much for sharing another beautiful project this week.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Julie Ann. Wow...I love the frosted effects that you have created! The frantage gives such an amazing feel and atmosphere. A little vintage and a little shabby chic is a beautiful combination.
    Thanks for joining in the fun at Fashionable Stamping Challenges.
    Dot x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love love love it Julie Ann I am so glad you are sharing with us at Fashionable Stamping Challenges. Took me ages to read through as I wanted to take it all in and I kept going back to have a look at your pics. Attention to detail is everything and you have it in abundance with this piece.

    Again thank you for sharing at FSC.

    Crafty hugs from Shirl x x

    ReplyDelete
  18. This has such a lovely frosty feel to it, a great effect with the glossy embossing over the paint. Love all the details.
    Thanks for sharing with us at FSC
    Avril xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. sorry Julie Ann I dont like this - I absolutely LOVE IT! the colours, the frantage, the crackle, your attention to detail is amazing. Great you have been inspired by Alison (another very talented lady) for this card its simply stunning. Hugs Mo x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow wow wow absolutely gorgeous stunning awesome amazing card. The detail of the paint stamping is amazing you got such a clear image, I have fallen mega in love with your background, and all the beautiful crackle, frantage and little frame is fabulous. Hugs Kezzy :-) xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. WHOOT WHOOT, this is a WINNER okay I'm out of here got to go...

    ReplyDelete

Due to high level of spam recently I have enabled comment moderation on this blog, so any comments will be moderated before appearing on the blog.