Saturday 28 June 2014

Inspiration!

Hello and welcome to my fabulous followers and friends! The skies just turned pitch black and now it's pouring down here in Magpieheaven; but I do love the sound of the rain on the roof and the garden will be grateful for the downpour! That rain reminded me of inspiration! Last night I stayed up until 2.00am working on a tiny canvas because I just had to express - well, what exactly? I think it was the joy that creating and getting to know so many amazing and imaginative people in Blogland brings me! Whenever I feel down or uninspired I can spread my wings and visit incredible blogs all over the Globe and I come away as refreshed as I hope my garden is going to be soon! Yesterday it was a Facebook post from the incredibly creative and inspiring Patty Szymkowicz. She had discovered some Borage growing in her window box. Now this is the favourite salad herb of one of my oldest and dearest friends so I was really excited to see it growing there in Virginia! Patty told me about a story she read as a girl of a Knight whose lady embroidered him a silk favour with a design of Borage flowers to wear in battle. 'Borage for Courage' Patty told me! That in turn reminded me of my favourite necklace, bought for my birthday some years ago by Mr Magpie. It's exactly like a simple sprig of Rosemary, for remembrance. Here is the canvas I spent the night creating - with my Rosemary necklace.
There was no definite reason for creating it, just the sheer joy of flying on the wings of imagination, and what could be a better reason? I thought of Patty's knight, dreaming - and dreams were very significant in Medieval romance - that he comes to a clearing in the forest, led by small birds and butterflies to a flower that has his beloved lady's face, encouraging him to go on although he feels tired and lonely.
I wanted to create the idea of fragments of writing from a medieval manuscript and for this I used torn pieces of Baby Wipe I had used for mopping up! I have a huge collection of these that I have been waiting to use on a project! I no longer throw away anything, thanks to the inspiration of artists like Dianne Marcoux (incidentally it was Dianne who introduced me to Patty in the first place!)  and Darcy Wilkinson who both set a great example for creating from what others might discard!
All my favourite blues and greens were used on this project! PaperArtsy Antarctic, Beach Hut, Hey Pesto and Inky Pool; Wendy Vecchi Archival in Cobalt and Distress Inks from Tim Holtz in Broken China and Peacock Feathers - my two favourite colours! A Shrink Plastic Lynne Perrella lady who looks very Medieval, I think peeps from a waxed paper flower, painted and then rubbed with Sapphire and Aquamarine Treasure Gold. The Garden Greens are still there courtesy of my inspirational friend, Lucy Edmondson who die-cut lots for me. The little birds are are Treasure Gold through a Stencil Girl stencil of birds in a wood.
I had lots of fun with Frantage in Aged Green. I find that if I use Versamark and heat from underneath, the Frantage doesn't blow away all over the room.
I stamped straight onto the canvas, using Lynne Perrella feather stamps and the Sunflower from LPC028 by PaperArtsy. I could have stamped them onto tissue but I preferred to just let them look aged and a little worn (Oh, dear, sound like me!) I stamped and then overstamped the feathers in Antarctic, then Snowflake and finally Wendy Vecchi Cobalt. Thank you so much for stopping by today. Thank you also to all the wonderful crafters out there who share their creativity so generously! I wish I had time to name you all, but this blog post has already gone on far too long probably! What a chattering Magpie I am! The sun is out now, glistening on all those raindrops! Have a great weekend, whatever the weather where you are!

19 comments:

  1. What a great post, and a great canvas too.... I save "stuff" too - trouble is it takes up so much space... Love your canvas, it is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a perfectly lovely thing to wake up to dear Julie Ann (and special hugs to that special magpie Dianne for introducing us across the miles!!!)

    Your canvas is stunning in every detail...the touches of gold with lovely layers really draw me in!
    Thank you for saying such lovely things...you certainly are an inspiration on so many levels...
    creating such a precious little canvas and then creating such a lovely blogpost with special details and sharing your process and ingredients...You are a wonder!

    Your Mr Magpie certainly has good taste as the Rosemary necklace is beautiful...I hardly ever say Rosemary without also saying "for Remembrance"...

    It certainly is a delight to connect with someone who appreciates the glisten of sun on raindrops and so so much more...

    Happy Weekend to you and yours ~♥~
    oxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in love with this canvas - AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie Ann,this is beyond beautiful. I do love your blog posts,gorgeous art with a lovely little tale attached. I have said before,that I do think I get even more enjoyment out of seeing what people have made as well as creating something myself. Everyone is so helpful and generous out there.

    Hope you are having a lovely weekend
    Hugs
    Donna x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post Julie Ann and what a lovely little canvass which I'm sure will holds those memories and inspiration for many years. Great colours and I love your Frantage. Love it. debs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful, Julie Ann... Yes, it's pouring down here too, but your post has brought out some indoor sunshine - what a feelgood read of positivity and inspiration. I love the canvas - the gilding, the colours, the dimensional leaves and petals, but most of all the story behind its creation.

    The rosemary necklace is just beautiful too... On Shakespeare's birthday each year, we all march around SuA wearing sprigs of rosemary - for remembrance, obviously!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. A truly mesmerising piece and I can see why you were so absorbed with it until the early hours. Beautiful project.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all of your chattering! Just like our wren! teehee
    Julie Ann, Yours is the first post I read this morning and it started my day out in the loveliest way! I felt calmed and relaxed after reading about your inspiration for this beautiful piece! When you spoke of being inspired by others, especially Patti S., I smiled and thought, dear girl, if you only knew how inspiring you are to others! I love your art, your posts, and your sweet generous heart! Thank you for being my morning meditation xoxo Jackie
    I know myself, I wish to glean some of your talent for myself someday ")

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ps...sorry I misspelled Patty's name "(
      and I do adore your canvas as well as the lovely necklace your husband gave you!

      Delete
  9. Such a beautiful canvas & the necklace is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a beautiful canvas Julie Ann and a wonderful post to read. I resonate so easily with the 2 am part of your story and creating just because you want to carry on and complete something special and special this project is - as is that gorgeous necklace too. Enjoy the rest of the weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Miss Julie Ann, well who wouldn't be inspired by our wonderful other special little Magpie Miss Patty, she made your wings soar, what a BEA-U-TI-FUL canvas. your stories are always so magical, I love them, the texture you created is just fantastic, it is something you just want to touch, looooove all the frantage, all the script peeking out and your gorgeous signature piece in that beautiful flower, love the last photo with all the stamping on the side and you gorgeous necklace. Thank you Cuz for being a huge inspiration to me, your creations just keep getting better and better... You think your chatty well you have nothing on this Magpie, I guess it's a bird thing :O).. Have a wonderful week end I wish it was raining here, nope, it's 38C with the humidity, hot and sticky, no rain in site till Tues, finger crossed..... ((( BIG HUGS )))... PS so glad your saving everything look what you have done with it amazing :O)...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a beautiful canvas and lovely to read your thoughts, words and who has influenced you when you create. Truly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Super canvas Julie Ann. Love everything about it. Really enjoyed reading your post. Thank you so much for your visit.
    Hugs, Flo x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a lovely post Julie Ann, & your canvas is beautiful! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic canvas, love the pop of gold and great idea to have a heart as the main focus - gorgeous

    Sam xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so beautiful, and lovely to make something 'just because'. I don't know about being 'inspirational' but those garden greens are a very nice die cut to use!

    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Simply S T U N N I N G:-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow wow wow truly gorgeous stunning unique canvas, the story is beautiful, I really must pop on over to have a look. I love the baby wipes technique, I save some of mine but not used them in a while lol. Love the rich colours and the gold looks gorgeous. Amazing inspiring canvas ☺ Kezzy xxxxx

    ReplyDelete

Due to high level of spam recently I have enabled comment moderation on this blog, so any comments will be moderated before appearing on the blog.