Tuesday 8 September 2015

Show Your Face on Friday - The Many Faces of Destiny!

Hello and welcome to Magpieheaven, friends and followers. Once again there don't seem enough hours in the day! I wanted to link up to Kim Dellow's great blog 'Show Your Face on Friday' last Friday and it's already Tuesday! If you don't already know Kim offers us the chance each week to share portraits we have been creating. They can be faces from the past or the present and in any media, just as long as the face itself is our creation and not made from a stencil or template. Do please take a look at Kim's great inspiration and that of the contributors and join in the fun! Last month we were encouraged to 'be inspired' by each other and this was such a great opportunity to try something new with our faces and to look in detail at what others are doing. It also helped me to feel I was getting to know some of my fellow bloggers a little better. This week I've been finishing off three projects inspired by Mary Jane's wonderful on line Tinytopia class at The Artful Gathering. I have really become immersed in incorporating faces I have created into little towns over the past few days. What I have tried to do is to create towns in which each house has a character. Here is my table covered in Tinytopians looking for a place to live!



I had such a lot of fun mixing and matching the faces I had drawn; dressing them in new clothes; changing their features a little here and there with the odd make-over and adding images from vintage playing cards.



I could imagine all the voices whispering, softly calling to me to open the tiny doors and explore the rooms beyond! I have really found that using faces in this way brings what I have created to life for me.



Welcome to the town of...



...where anything can happen! You might like to spend some time in the quaint little town so often the destination of dreamers...



The perfect holiday destination...


Open the door of one of these little houses...


And you discover your...


I have made so many discoveries through this class. Mary Jane is the most generous of teachers, sharing her expertise and talent and always inspiring and encouraging us. And we have learned from each other within the class. Kim's blog too has been a rich source of inspiration for me, so now I can't stop creating more and more towns, peopled by the characters that previously hid themselves in my imagination. As I mentioned Mary Jane has shared so much with us. Out of respect for her as an artist and teacher, I'm sure you will understand that I can't give you step by steps on how I created these houses, but I hope that you won't mind me just sharing them with you here, as they have been such a fun way for me to use the faces I've been creating. I'm off for a few days' break soon with friends in Devon, so I wish you a happy and creative week.

27 comments:

  1. Ooooh, your towns with the wonderful faces are utterly gorgeous. Your art is magical and enchantig. I can find so, so many interesting details. Thank you for telling the wonderful process.
    Have a lovely trip Julie Ann ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie Ann, these are absolutely wonderful! I would never have the imagination (let alone the skill) to create anything like this. Your faces are all lovely and to me, so full of gentleness! The fact that you derived so much enjoyment from creating your little towns is evident so thank you for sharing them for our enjoyment too.

    I hope you enjoy your break as much as we just enjoyed our long weekend away.

    Hugs
    Lesley Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely gorgeous Julie, adore your faces and the little details you added. The wording on the back is perfect. They look wonderful together . Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie Ann I absolutely love love love your little town..you are such a clever girl..I must have a closer look at home on my pc xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are SO FABULOUS and well worth the wait Julie Ann. They look wonderful grouped together. What a lot of work you've put into them! Lx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your gorgeous little houses. They are brillint in every detail

    ReplyDelete
  7. Truly enchanting dear Julie Ann!! What a wonderful tiny (topia) village to greet you and whisper tiny bits of inspiration to you!! You are so talented! I see Mary Jane has taught you well as I believe you must be her brightest pupil!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely lovely! Looks like it was a superb class, these are totally delightful, each one a little treasure in itself, and I bet you had a ton of fun with them too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Look at all these cuties lined up. I can see them overtaking your house. xox

    ReplyDelete
  10. you little town is just gorgeous, Julie Ann! so many different faces and personalities.. thanks for sharing them with us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. well, this is all simply stunning. I am so in love with your art. using the faces for the houses is just right -- so much character and personality! have you told us before what the house are made of and where you get the templates? anyway, thanks for sharing what you've made. it is utterly inspiring. enjoy your time away with friends this week! xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a fantastic project, each house and personality is so differen, just wonderful. Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely delightful and enchanting and wonderful wonderful dear Julie Ann!!!
    Thank you very much for sharing them with us here.
    oxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love, love, love your gorgeous miniature portraits and the way you incorporated them into these delightful little homes. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just love every single piece of your tiny towns. Where did you get all the wood pieces for all those houses? Thank you for sharing....they are so cute and inspiring. I am ready to try my own little towns.....but need those wooden pieces??!! Thank You
    suzschultz23@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. They are completely wonderful Julie Ann, every one a perfect work of art. Have a great time in Devon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOVE LOVE LOVE these little houses, these little pieces of art. You have done a magnificent job and just my style too. :) If you ever need a place to store them, they would be happy here in Victoria, BC Canada~ Great job, you are such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful projects, lots to look at, wonderful details!

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are stunning, so inspiring with such interesting detail x

    ReplyDelete
  20. You art is always enchanting and this display is no different.
    You bring such character and also a beautiful sense of empathy to each of the faces you create, with heart and soul so that yes, I can imagine they are whispering.
    The attention to detail is of the highest quality.
    No one inspires such as you do.
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  21. So happy to be able to visit Tinytopia in detail - the towns of enchant, romance and destiny are full of such wonderful houses, each with a delightful, characterful occupant. What a fantastical world you've created for your beautiful faces, and I love how you've incorporated the playing cards too. A magical post.

    Hope you're enjoying your break in Devon, and that you've had some of the long longed-for sunshine we've had in the last few days.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's fun to try and find the same faces and see how different they look after you changed their features and their clothes. Love these little cities you created!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love, love, love, love. I really love your towns that you have been sharing, I love all your characters and all the details. Thanks for linking up to Show Your Face and sorry I'm late coming around to comment! Thanks for the wonderful shout out too. Kx

    ReplyDelete

Due to high level of spam recently I have enabled comment moderation on this blog, so any comments will be moderated before appearing on the blog.