Friday 9 October 2015

Show Your Face on Friday - The Plot Thickens!

Hello Followers and Friends and welcome to Magpieheaven. It's Friday and that means a visit to my favourite blog - Kim Dellow's wonderful 'Show Your Face on Friday'. If you don't already know, Kim hosts this great venue where anyone who wants to have a go at creating faces in any media, any style can link up and gain inspiration from other artists. All the details are here, so please do hop across and find out more! A few weeks ago I challenged myself to step outside my comfort zone and create a portrait of my daughter, Matilda in the style of Tim Burton. Our cat Daisy wanted to be in the picture too and somehow a cheeky magpie fluttered into view!
This picture just asked me to tell a story, which involved my family as Tim Burton might have created them. I have a son Isaac, who joined the cast of characters as a troubled magician with a pet owl who knows a thing or two...
Visitors to Magpieheaven wanted to know more about the unfolding story, so this week I've been piecing it together a little more and I've created a couple more faces to add to this gallery of characters! If you look in the first picture, you will see that the mischievous magpie has a ring in his beak. He had the best of intentions when he 'borrowed' this shiny trinket. He so wanted to give Matilda a birthday gift. He just saw it gleaming there on the table in Baba Yaga's tiny house and he really planned to return with some shiny things from his stash in return: somehow he never got round to it and now Baba Yaga, the witch is furious and growing too big for the miniature house I created for her in Tinytopia!
Isaac's shrinking spell has only made time race round so that the moon has gone from a full beaming face to a crescent in one night and Baba Yaga is increasing in size even faster! She is threatening to put that Magpie in a golden pastry coffin when she gets her hands on him! By the way I don't think any member of our family looks quite as gruesome as this - except perhaps me when I've been woken up too early!
All this noise has woken Kevin, the Kitchen Elf who sleeps in the Magpieheaven cupboards and creates the kitchen all around him (readers will know that Kevin has been working on our kitchen for over two years now and he hasn't quite finished it yet! Now you can see what he looks like!) He'd like to help, but he only has kitchen fitting spells and they only work on certain days and that screw-driver he's wielding will be no use against Baba Yaga's magic . I think Isaac's owl has a plan, but to find out what it is and if it works, you will have to give me another week to sketch some more because I think it involves one last Tim Burton style portrait! Thank you so much for stopping by today. Have a great week and I do hope you can find the time to draw a face and link up to Show Your Face on Friday!

23 comments:

  1. Oooooh... I hope it's a good plan. Baba Yaga is not known for her sense of humour and I shudder to think what will happen if she makes it out of her tiny house. I can hardly wait to find out what's going to happen next. Lx

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH! This story has become increasingly interesting Julie Ann.
    The story surrounding the shiny thing and the characters around it.
    It’s a amazing new faces sketches, Baba Yaga and the Kitchen Elf Kevin.
    Can’t wait next happening. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. The story gets better and better, wonderful illustrations and all just wonderful leading us up to Halloween. Great stuff!! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. great story telling and imagery-love this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a super story and fantatsic illustrations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant! You're a born story teller Julie Ann! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun-tastic artwork and story! Can't wait till next Friday to see what happens next.... Gill x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great to see Kevin - can't wait to see who makes an appearance next in your story!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These characters are so brilliant, I see some book making in your future. Great kids books afoot. xox

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant! I am so glad we got to see Kevin at last, he can be so elusive!

    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your characters are amazing Julie Ann and your story enthralling. I can't wait for the next installment, lol! You should be in print!!!

    Hugs
    Lesley Xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderfully spooky and I love that they remind me of Tim Burton but you have made them your own.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fabulous story Julie Ann with all your fabulously drawn characters. Love them all xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous drawings. So full of character! I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Julie Ann! How delightful!!
    I am scared of that Baba Yaga!! Hopefully she stops growing soon! I so look forward to more adventures and really hope that this shall end up in a book-truly a wonderful story and illustrations!
    oh yes, thank you for showing us Kevin the elf!! heehee I almost forgot he was still around!lol
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oooo, Baba Yaga needs a cup of coffee me think, very scary! Love your story it's perfect for Ocober. Enjoy your weekend sweetie :)

    Love and hugs
    Maarit

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ohh that Baba is trouble. Very fun idea--love the pix.

    ReplyDelete
  18. haha, love that little story and the illustrations that go with it. You have a lot of talent!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such lovely story and beautiful drawings! Julie Ann. Love them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful story and terrific characters

    Love Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Brilliant yet again Julie Ann! I love Kevin the kitchen elf, he! he! Hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  22. So when will this be appearing in book form, I wonder?! What a fabulous story... Baba Yaga looks terrifying expanding out of her Tinytopia house... I don't fancy Kevin the Kitchen Elf's chances against her growing wrath! Amazing artwork, Julie Ann and amazing storytelling as always.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love love love! I love the unfolding of your story and work, just fab. And thanks for the lovely mention as your favourite blog *squeel* :) :) I just love visiting your blog too as it is full of wonder and beautiful art. Thank you for linking up to Show Your Face with your wonderful share. Kx

    ReplyDelete

Due to high level of spam recently I have enabled comment moderation on this blog, so any comments will be moderated before appearing on the blog.