Tuesday 14 February 2017

Masquerade! Joining in the masking fun at PaperArtsy!

Hello and Welcome! I'm trying to be a better blogger than last year so today here I am at Magpieheaven sharing some mail art I've created to send to an old and special friend I was re-united with on Facebook. Over at the PaperArtsy blog here there's such an inspiring challenge going on. I've enjoyed looking at all the contributions from the Guest Designers and those playing along so much that I decided to do some masking of my own! It's ages since I joined a challenge in Blogland and I've had lots of fun using this theme to inspire my own project!



Masking is great technique for Mail Art. I remember seeing the incredible Darcy Wilkinson once demonstrate at Ally Pally. She transformed cheap white envelopes into little works of art in no time, creating masks from everyday bits and bobs and lots and lots of layers of Fresco paints! It was time to brighten up the grey days with another go at her techniques!



My masks were a mini manilla tag, a stamp shape punched from scrap paper and some strips of torn masking tape. I used a brayer to apply layers of Frescos and I also stippled with Baby wipes. There's some stencilling on there and some stamping with paint. The stamp shape and the strips of tape were applied during the process so that different layers could be masked and would show through. I also carefully wiped away layers in places to reveal what lay beneath as I went along. I lost track of all the colours I used, but there was Tango, Red Bus, Brown Shed, Inky Pool and Yellow Submarine layered over opaques like Mermaid, Blush and Taupe.



I had some collage images I wanted to add to complete the picture! Not only was the envelope all about 'masking' - my friendly tiger and his lovely assistant are also 'maskers'. I think they're off to provide the entertainment at a grand Venetian ball!


 You can see what was left when I took away the masks. I added some detail to the tag and gave it to the Masquerading tiger to hold. Once I had outlined my tiger and his little companion in 6B pencil and fine-liner they stepped out from the background. You might have noticed that I've added some Sara Nauman stars stamped several times in paint onto my background. The butterflies - a symbol of good fortune to Venetians - are punched from scraps of paper and Vintage Playing cards.


Nothing is wasted with this technique. I've used the tiny tag with its many layers and punched butterflies from the scrap paper for the stamp space.


Thank You so much for stopping by today. Traditionally it is carnival time in Venice - or it was a little earlier in the month - so this was the perfect time to play with masks! I hope you'll check out the PaperArtsy challenge and maybe have a go yourself. There's a generous £50.00 voucher for PaperArtsy goodies to be won in the draw. Have a lovely, creative week.

20 comments:

  1. How clever to combine the two meanings of the word Julie Ann. It's a delightful surprise for your friend and obviously created with love! Xx 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a beautiful piece of mail art, and a great idea for the masked tag label! I love those masked figures, too they are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. This is stunning. Must have another go at mail art. I loved the last few I did!
    Catherine xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. This is stunning. Must have another go at mail art. I loved the last few I did!
    Catherine xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fabulous! Your friend will love this! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wowe Julie, your'vehicle done it again.......created a thing of beauty and woven a story at the same time. Your friend is very lucky!

    Hugs
    Lesley Xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fab piece of mail art. Love the effect you have created with the tag and all of the layers of paints.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow!!! This is fabulous!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Julie Ann,
    This is super fabulous, I love the story and every bit of detail you put in this. Just amazing, you must really have confidence to lay down that many layers of paint.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Julie Ann! This is fabulous, such a wonderful blend of colours! Hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  11. AB-SO-LUTELY cool! Wow! Your drawing reunites the background with the masked areas so perfectly. I am completely inspired by your gorgeous stories and artwork. Love this to bits. Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am absolutely blown away with your amazing and very creative envelope. I would love to receive this envelope in the post...can you image...It wouldn't matter what was inside! LOL x

    ReplyDelete
  13. So creative and so beautiful! Fabulous techniques and images, Julie Ann!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Julie Ann!! As I was looking and reading, I kept thinking Carnival time! What a delightful piece of mail art you have created! I just love the addition of your characters- they are so charming!! Your special makes always make me smile!
    hugs and love,Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is lovely, the tiger is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great to see some of the making-of stages here. I do love the effect of the masked tag space for the address, and your carnival characters look just wonderful in their colourful romper suits!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fantastic!
    The very best mail art envelope I ever received came from you, Julie Ann, and I still have it hanging in the art room! :)

    ReplyDelete

Due to high level of spam recently I have enabled comment moderation on this blog, so any comments will be moderated before appearing on the blog.