Monday 5 August 2013

Our Creative Corner: Words, Words. Words - Wings to Fly

For August at Our Creative Corner the theme is 'Words, Words, Words'. Click Here to learn more. I was so inspired by all the wonderful 'Wordy' projects from the Design Team and this is a challenge that really appealed to me. I tutor students in English Literature so words are a big part of my life; but where to begin?
Well, an idea started to develop when I spied this novel in my local Hospice Shop. I loved the cover, which suggested flight and all associated with it to me. I had been so impressed with Margie's altered Jane Austen book that I wanted to have a go so I started to fold my 'Guide to the Birds of East Africa'.
I painted the inside covers with a blending of Paper Artsy Fresco Paints in Sage, Mermaid, Guacomole  and some Snowflake to 'Knock back'. The book, I discovered, is not a bird-watching guide, but a romance about two rivals who try to win the hand of lady ornithologist by competing to see who can spot more species of rare birds in the area of Africa where the story takes place. I think this is such a romantic idea and that flight has so many connotations, the ideas started to come to me!
The colours I had chosen initially reminded me of the colour of birds' eggs so I decided to distress the book pages with Tim Holtz distress inks in Walnut Stain and Peacock feathers to carry through the subtle eggshell tone. I made a paper feather in the same colours, stamping it with script. The winged lady and man either side are from Paper Artsy 'Ink and the Dog' plates. I snipped tiny slits into their wings to create a more feathery effect. I added some Retro Cafe Art Gallery paper cuts of birds and eggs and a Graphic 45 butterfly. I stamped grasses in Versamark Olympia Green on the inside covers. There is also a distressed page of script on the left-hand inside cover with a little Treasure Gold on the curled over corner. Birds and words and a tiny bird in a frame, peep out from inside the pages. Please click on the images if you would like to see in more detail.
These are two of the sentiments I used from the Ink and Dog plate, 'Wings to Fly' and 'Take Flight'. My favourite sentiment, however, is this one from 'Crafty Individuals'!
If you open the page a little you can read, 'Be like the bird that, pausing in her flight awhile on boughs too slight, feels them give way beneath her, and yet sings, knowing that she hath wings.'
As well as the added text on the theme of flight, the book text remains at the centre of this project.Thank You, Margie, for the inspiration to 'take off' with my altered book.

18 comments:

  1. Love it Julie Ann..love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is really lovely Julie Ann! What a lot of thought and detail you have put into this project. I love the colours you chose and the images are beautiful. Good luck with the challenge for this is a worthy entry.

    Hugs
    Lesley Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never seen pages folded like that! Just love what you did, all the little details peeking out. Another treasure :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely beautiful, Julie Ann. I love the delicate eggshell blues, all the wildlife fluttering in and out of the pages, and the fabulous stamping on the inside covers. That's one of my favourite quotes too! A great make. Thanks so much for playing along with us at Our Creative Corner.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just gorgeous, I saw Margie's book too and I think you've created a beautiful version of your own - what a great find! I love your colour choice too! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really gorgeous project, fabulous soft colours;-))m

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow that is lovely. Great use of the book.

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  8. A fabulous work Julie ann! I love the little birds and the eggs and the way you've positioned them on the book pages. I also love the way you have reflected the story with your stamping, gorgeous creative piece x

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW...Let me pick my jaw up from the floor....AMAZING work...Love what you have done with this book...The images, design, colours... WOW... Love it... I'm speechless... It's Fabulous, Brilliant, Fantastic, Gorgeous...I could go on & on...I think you've guessed!! I Love it all.... Hugs May x x x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely amazing! Off to pin...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am in complete awe. That is one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, I'm so pleased you had a go at this Julie Ann and you've made a fantastic job of it! I love all the colour and the images - you've truly made it your own. Thanks so much for letting us see it over at Our Creative Corner. Margie x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wowser this is truly awesome, I really am awed by the way the pages are folded to make a gorgeous centre, and then all the wonderful stamping, colours, phrases and little extras make this a stunning amazing beautiful creation :-) hugs kezzy xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow you tutor English Literature, which explains why you post are all so beautifully written,this book is incredible piece of art, WOW, just stunning, the colors are beautiful, love how you folded the pages,love the script with the leaves, all the cutouts look fabulous all over, the feather is so kool designer perfect I'd call it:O). I love that quote too, it's a magpie favorite. I'm so proud you won at Our Creative Corner,that card you created deserved to win, The parliament of magpies are all clapping their wings, you make us proud, you are a special, and very talented magpie, creating with the dream team, you go birdy, thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh wow what a fabulous way to alter a book. It looks great! Love the colors and the cut outs. Beautiful.
    xx Monique

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stunning, even from the thumbnail it's eyecatching.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh this is just lovely. Like Butterfly, it's one of my favourite quotes too.....

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is breathtaking Julie - Your creations always amaze me and this is stunning! I adore the eggshell colours, how delicately vintage the colours are and all the pictures are wonderful - there is so much to see! Such a beautiful addition to the challenge! Thanks so much for joining us at Our Creative Corner this month - Love from Laura xxx

    ReplyDelete

Due to high level of spam recently I have enabled comment moderation on this blog, so any comments will be moderated before appearing on the blog.