Thursday 23 April 2015

A Gift for a Friend - Rubber Dance Challenge!

Welcome to Magpieheaven! Lately the sun has been shining in a sky of cloudless, powder blue; the blossoms are budding on our apple tree and the sun has been creating dusky shadows on the garden path. The colours of the current Rubber Dance Challenge - Pink, Powder Blue and Dusky Grey are all around! It feels like Summer - for how long I'm not sure! I decided it was time to join in with the Rubber Dance Challenge, as I love their stamps and the blog is so full of inspiration! Just check it out here! I recently gifted a decorated jumbo peg to one of my followers to celebrate 2 years of blogging and, as I needed to make a birthday gift for a family friend, I decided to try to use the Rubber Dance colour palette for a new peg doll.



I make these double-sided memo dolls from plain wooden jumbo pegs, so I've tried to incorporate the Rose, Powder Blue and Dusky Grey n both sides. I used stencils - a Rebekah Meier doily and a Harlequin pattern and PaperArtsy Fresco paints in Oyster Blue, Antarctic, Slate and Blush. Leandra @ PaperArtsy has a great video on the 'bumping' technique here, which helps to create a 3D impression.



So that I could use my favourite rubber stamps on this project, I miniaturised them by stamping them onto Shrink Plastic. I painted the plastic with a wash of PaperArtsy Guacamole, allowed it to dry and then stamped with the star from Sara Nauman's  most recent design for PaperArtsy, and this lovely sentiment from Rubber Dance, before carefully cutting both of these out and then shrinking them with a heat tool - I just love doing that. Our friend is a lover of all kinds of music and  has spent many happy evenings sitting on our living room floor listening with us to anything from Reggae to Vaughan-Williams!



I used my own artwork on the doll's face/s. The white musical notes on her hat are stamped using a Rubber Dance background stamp and some Snowflake Fresco paint. For texture, I used some Grunge Paste tinted with Fresco paints in Banana and Chocolate pudding and a little lace fixed with gell medium and touched with Treasure Gold.


Here is the reverse side of my doll: a sleeping pierrot. Again I used Shrink Plastic to reduce this PaperArtsy Mini stamp to fit my peg doll exactly: it reads 'Imagination rules the world'. The bird is part of a Stencil Girl stencil - a very large one, in fact, of birds in a wood! Again I used the Grunge Paste to create texture on the hair.



I added a little Treasure Gold to accentuate the texture and I utilised the blue, pink and grey colour palette within the head part of the peg. The side of the peg, I decorated with spots of sunshine yellow with some Sapphire Treasure Gold on the metal of the peg.



 Our friend is a great fan of the art of Cecil Collins who created naive and beautiful paintings of pierrot type figures - wise fools! This one is called The Sleeping Fool.



I wanted to try to evoke something of Collins' simplicity and serenity in this little gift, which comes with much love to our dear friend. Thank You so much for dropping by Magpieheaven today and taking a look at my peg doll, which I should like to link up to The Rubber Dance Blog April Colour Challenge here.

14 comments:

  1. I've never heard of Rubber Dance I don't think, so am off for a look. Your peg is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's a charmer, Julie Ann, as are all your creations!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an exquisite creation Julie Ann! Attention to detail is fabulous! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love your dolls Julie Ann and this lovely one is no exception. A beautiful birthday gift for a very lucky friend xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is gorgeous, julie Ann; I love your peg dolls, especially for their hand drawn faces which add such charm,

    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful hand drawn faces Julie Ann, i hope you will link up to Kim Dellow's Art It Friday at 10 am tomorrow morning as she is wanting people to share their faces.

    As always much thought and love has been put into your Doll and i do love the colour palette the way you ahve used it.

    I won a set of Bibi's (Rubber Dance) stamps yesterday, the new heart plate and i can't wait for it to arrive! Glad you love her stamps too ;-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many wonderful details Julie Ann, a gift that will definitely be treasured! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. A beautiful peg doll, I'm sure it will be treasured.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another absolute charmer, asleep or awake, and I think you've captured the dreamy simplicity of Collins' style really well.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love her Julie Ann and love the little bits of texture as well as the double stamping?/shading? Such dimension you achieved on this!
    Happy Sunday my friend!xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful! This is to keep for ever - lucky friend! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW, Julie - I love this peg doll! Such a nice touch that she's awake one one side and asleep on the other. Great idea to stamp on shrink plastic! Thank you so much for entering our challenge and for your kind words about my stamps and my blog! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW WOW WOW. That so pretty. Thank you for joining us over at Rubber Dance! Susanne xx.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great project! These dolls are awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Due to high level of spam recently I have enabled comment moderation on this blog, so any comments will be moderated before appearing on the blog.