Saturday 2 November 2013

Jo Inspires Again!

This week has been an exhausting one at Magpieheaven! As followers of the blog might know, we've been moving my mum into a flat. She's been far more bewildered than we had anticipated and - whew - did she have some belongings! Fifty crates - one entirely full of hats, bless her! The removal firm who were supposed to pack had somehow mixed rubbish in with 'precious things', so it was great fun (!) for us to sort it all out! But every single cloud has a silver lining! Mum is now close by where we can keep an eye on her; our dear friend, Patsy came and stayed way longer than she had intended just to help out and Jo Myhill has provided a wonderful release in the form of inspirational art work over at Paper Artsy! This week I'd like to link up what I've created with the Paper Artsy Challenge. I've been running between the Magpie's Nest and the new Granny abode and slumping in front of my laptop then feasting my eyes on all the beauty! Please click HERE to take a look at Jo's lovely work yourself. I wanted to craft this week to relax and I also wanted to create a gift to say 'Thank You' to Patsy for all her hard work in sorting things for mum and helping her to settle. I loved Jo's idea of creating Shrink Plastic flowers using hearts as petals, but I wanted to incorporate a Lynne Perrella image in my work - I don't know what it is, but her images always perk me up! Multiple images on the petals would have been too much, I thought, so I used the SP hearts as centres. I didn't have any of the sweet little frames Jo had, but I did have mini canvases, so I used those instead.
Patsy has a beautiful little cottage by the sea with the prettiest garden I know. Her dining room is blue and serene, so I am hoping she can hang these little canvases there. I used Crackle Glaze on the canvas - Mermaid Freso over Holly edged with Inky Pool and Chocolate pudding; a touch of Hey Pesto and just the tiniest hint of dry brushed Little Black Dress all along the edge. I accented my corners with UTEE and a sprinkling of Frantage - Stampendous, Champagne Crushed Glass. The hearts are metal card run through an embossing folder and coloured with different shades of Treasure Gold.
I really liked the depth and different levels and textures of Jo's frames so I used corrugated card at the centre and my canvas became the frame. I painted my SP with Lake Wanaka, as it is a nice, pale shade that deepens a little as the plastic is heated. I also used scrunched and Treasure Golded waxed paper and the flower petals are waxed paper cut with a Tim Holtz Tattered Florals die.

For the background I used the following Paper Artsy Stamps: E, Sara Nauman 07, Mini 26, ID02 and HP 1006.
The Lynne Perrella images are LP006, LP009, LP013. The images fitted into the hearts quite well and reminded me of little enamel miniatures - one of my favourite areas of the Victoria and Albert Museum is the miniature section.
Taking just that section of the image that fitted into the heart changed them so much. This lady even has a completely different hair style now!
I had so much pleasure from playing along with Jo and creating my own canvases inspired by her. I was working into the small hours on them, but it was so therapeutic. And - joy of joys - Kevin arrived on Friday with the most beautiful kitchen cupboard doors in a lovely shade of silvery green so watch this space for more news of the Magpie Kitchen Make-over, possibly the slowest on the planet but we'll get there in the end!

21 comments:

  1. wow, how beautiful and I am sure Patsy will love them... I still haven't had a chance to try any of Jo's techniques from this week... maybe later! I am delighted there is some progress on the kitchen - can't wait to see the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow these are lovely, the colours are so restful and very sea inspired. I love how you've taken my ideas and made them your own. Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. these look fab together - love the layers and frantage (next on my wish list !) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful project, love the grunge, love the colours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are just gorgeous, such a thoughtful way to say thanks to your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous colours & loads of texture on your fabulous mini canvas gift. Sure Patsy will display them with and smile every time she looks at them.

    Gifts made from the heart are always extra special:-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are lovely hunni! Im sure she'll love them! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done Patsy and well done you! I totally sympathize, have been sorting out Mum's bedrooms and she is such a hoarder; I also found a pile of hats she wants to keep including the one from my wedding (a long time ago!). Your canvases are such a delight in every detail. Love the blue with the gold and the gorgeous LP images,

    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been waiting patiently, since I saw Jo's make, and wondered what will our little magpie make with this inspiration, I know your's is a busy nest :O)... , A bless your mother, a crate full of hat's love that, I was a hat girl in my day, I bet her nest had been filled with treasures... See things made with love are the most magnificent.. Those images, yes, it's the look in their eyes, like they have a special story to tell..
    Well this triptych, I'm call it is Magnificent, the backgrounds is GORGEOUSSSSSS, sorry, I'm using my out door voice, the craking, the stamping the GOLD, love the GOLD hearts, loooooooove the wax paper behind, and my fav,the corragted frame is superb, all painted and stamped,using the flowers to frame the gorgeous images was BRIIIIIIIIILLIANT, EEKKS, I'm hitting high notes:), and your right the images have changed in the heart shape every time you make something new, it's my favorite:O) Patsy is going to ADORE this.. Every second you spent on this was defiantly worth it. I was clawing up my desk doing a jig, I'm sooooo happy you got the cupboard,
    I believe you have taken my out of my funk, my nest a mess, hardly no creating, thanks for letting me share your Cous, ((( BIG HUGS )))) oh and the Parliament are cheering again , Magpies Rock LOL....

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are stunning Julie Ann. LOVE the stamping on the hearts - such a different perspective to these stamps. I am sure they shimmer fabulously and that Patsy will rightly treasure them.

    Hoping for easier times for your Mum (and you!). Good luck with the kitchen. Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wowzer. These are just fantastic. Love the colours, the stamping, the crunchy wax paper, the corrugations, the heart with the ladies. OK, the whole thing. These are so gorgeous and I'm sure Patsy will love them. Hope your mum settles in soon. It's difficult. My gran is getting a bit vague and we are hoping to move her closer to us but it's a lot for her to cope with, she's 90. Hoping it all works out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are a gorgeous canvas. The materials is good combination. Blue and TG are beautiful, I love it!
    Etsuko xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. your canvas are fantastic...Patsy will be happy to receive them

    ReplyDelete
  14. Julie Ann you've really run with Jo's inspiration and given us some of your own! What a beautiful gift for your friend. She cannot fail to love it. I love the attention to detail you always give to your pieces and it's always a joy to come and see what you've created. This was no exception!

    Hugs
    Lesley Xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great layers and colour combo, really know what you mean about the LP images, I love them, I find it hard not to reach for them every time - lol

    What a lovely thank you gift for your friend, hope she can find a space to display them

    Sam xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful little works of art Julie Ann! xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous work Julie-Ann, the colours & depth is stunning...Love the images...Patsy will treasure these I'm sure....Hugs May x x x

    ReplyDelete
  18. They are GORGEOUS.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow wow wow gorgeous fantastic creations, all of the so unique but together they go beautifully. I love the images you chose, I have to admit I really love LP stamps. Hugs Kezzy :-) xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love unpacking! That's a lot of hats! Love your multi layered creations! Well done! Sent you a message on google+, patsy

    ReplyDelete

Due to high level of spam recently I have enabled comment moderation on this blog, so any comments will be moderated before appearing on the blog.