Wednesday 13 November 2013

WOYWW - Guest Designing and Making my own Stamps!

I've had to write this ahead of time because Wednesday is going to be busy this week, as I've promised my hubby we can have a day out. I will try to get round to as many 'deskers' as possible, but it might take me a while. I've been thinking since I heard the news of the terrible typhoon, of our friends in the Philippines and hoping and praying that all is well with them. Love and strength to Patsy and Peggy at this time.
 Wednesdays have been so special since I started blogging back in April 2013 and Mo, I think it was, told me about WOYWW I've tried not to miss it and this week it's my first time ever as a Guest Designer so I hope you won't mind me featuring what I made for the Country View Crafts Challenge. The theme is 'Letters'. You may not have time with all the Wednesday desk hopping, but if you have a moment, please look Here at Country View Crafts challenge and all the great DT inspiration from their regulars and guests! And if you're stopping by via Country View Crafts and you're wondering what WOYWW stands for, do pop over to Julia's Stamping Ground for a sneaky peek at craft desks all over the world and see why I always look forward to Wednesdays! Anyway this box is on my desk on my washing machine lid in the conservatory right now, where it's light enough to take photos!
 
I'm already using it to store my precious letters from my friend, Kay who lives in Madrid. Most of my faraway friends email, but Kay sends me real letters! I am always so excited when they plop on my mat, full of news, humour and wisdom! The box I used was a gift from my dear friend, Dianne who also lives far, far away in Canada and who shares my magpie love of collecting and creating! We met through WOYWW.
First I painted the beautiful wooden box with Fresco Finish in Snowflake. I then used Grunge Paste through a ledger stencil to create a textured, writing effect. We magpies love feathers of all kinds so I made my own quill pen shape using cardboard. I drew around a real feather for the shape, then moulded and shaped my cardboard cut-out around a central spine of cocktail sticks stuck down with Glossy Accents. I painted again with Snowflake, snipped the edges of the feather and accented it with Fresco Finish Cinnamon, some Mermaid and Rose Quartz Treasure Gold.
I painted the lower part of my box with Little Black Dress Fresco Finish.
 I distressed some pieces of card to look like fragments of old letters, edging them with Wendy Vecchi Potting Soil Archival ink before stamping them with a Paper Artsy script stamp from Hot Picks 1006.
I painted my box with a combo of Lake Wanaka Fresco and Bora Bora, edged with more Rose Quartz and added a Prima brad that resembled  a tiny fragment of text.
The medallions that decorate the top of my box are Paper Artsy Ink and the Dog stamps from the Petals and School Days range stamped on Cinnamon painted on Shrink Plastic and given a coating of Glossy Accents then left to dry and set overnight. I stamped with a Paper Artsy script stamp randomly over the box and also used this to create the letter fragments. I then accented some of the raised letters with Classic Treasure Gold. Thank you so much to Country View Crafts for giving me the opportunity to share what I have made and thanks to anyone who has stopped by to look.
Finally last week I told my WoYWW friends about some stamps my son found in the bureau he was sorting. It was actually my old bureau that had been moved into his room and he now needs to empty it, so we can replace it with a chair. While sorting, he found some stamps a friend of mine had asked me to design a few years ago. She had found someone online who could make up stamps to order quite cheaply, Unfortunately this lady is no longer in business so I don't have a clue where I could go if I wanted any more made. There is a whole box of my doodlings made into stamps, but I didn't have enough Ez mount, so I've only experimented with one so far and here it is- deep breath - eek, hope you like it - it's the tag on the right
She is my Leaf Fairy Princess and I've just had a quick play with stamping her with some Wendy Vecchi Fern Green Archival, clear embossed and looking at how I might use her with other elements. I gave her a Lynne Perrella crown and lots of sparkle to make her more Christmassy, as she's really more of a spring themed princess with her hair made from leaves. The box she was in contains all her court of elves, trees with faces, a Green man and a jester just about to go off on his journey. Next time I will have some more Ez mount so I can show you what resulted from my play with these re-discovered stamps. I also have a sheet of the Green Folk that I have used as background on projects back in the spring when I sent out some WOYWW ATCs. Thank you for being so patient and looking at so much this week, including my own rather amateurish artwork! Have a great WOYWW!

38 comments:

  1. Stunning box Julie, The Paper arsty paints work so well for projects like this. Simple lovely , Happy woyww jill #28

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, wow, wow those boxes are amazing and so beautiful. congratulations of an excellent creation.

    Happy WOYWW & Happy Crafting
    Eliza & Yoda 2

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done on your GD spot - the box is gorgeous. Glad you shared with us your own designed stamp! Have a good day out. Helen 17

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely box, Julie. Well done. Have a great week.
    Margaret #42

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful box!
    And a fantastic tag! I love it!

    Have a great day!
    Sussie

    ReplyDelete
  6. The box is quite amazing...that feather knocks me out! So cool. What fun to have found the treasure of both a memory and Leaf Fairy....hope you had fun as a guest designer! Have a great week. Sara j #43

    ReplyDelete
  7. The box is stunning, many thanks for such a great tutorial. Hugs. Pam#32

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really love your box. Thanks you for sharing it in such detail.
    Hugs,
    A x # 47

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is beautiful and so very creative, thanks for joining us as a GDTM this month Julie Ann. Chris xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there. Just popping my head round the door to say hi.
    Thanks for the peek into your creative world today. Love the box. Especially the crackle texture.
    Hope you have a good week too.
    Neil#39

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your box is stunning, wow, we kept scrolling back for another look. We really love your stamp too, how clever.

    The bears #74

    ReplyDelete
  12. EEEKKKKSSSS, guest designer, my prays are answered, I'm so excited I can hardly type, wings flapping everywhere. standing cheering..What a fabulous creation you have made, ooww, I knew you would make something fabulous and special with that box. You my sweet little Magpie have made a real feather, well it sure looks like one, I thought it belong to a gracious Swan.. You know how I too love the script, love how you painted the bottom black, I loooove the torn piece of cardboard, you know I loooove that too, the painted texture the crackle,STUNNINGGGG and oh so gorgeous, loooove the tiny brad, your SP signature pieces are just fantastic, the box is BRILLIANTLY done, I have been waiting all week too see your own stamp, and you have more, be still my heart... EEKKSS I loooove it, the background is gorgeous, the stamp is NOT amateur but beautiful, love her crown all the sparkle, and you know I love the tree stamp piece beside it, I can't wait to see the rest.. My dear magpie cousin we at the Parliament and standing and cheering, you have been voted the best up coming artist and designer Magpie of the year, bowing to you my dear..Thanks for sharing you have made my week. Hope you have a lovely day out with Mr magpie (((( BIG HUGS )))). all my love, hope you have a wonderful week, bye sweet couz... Guess it's safe to say I LOVE it..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, where do I begin. First of all your stamp is so pretty, love your Princess.
    The box - well what can one say about the box. It is FAB-U-LUS (as Craig would say) Dahling! I love how you did that feather - very clever. Gorgeous colours, lovely torn paper (does look old) and just a wonderful design piece.
    Hugs, Neet 22 xx
    ps no, I don't read in that language - just about life there and Japan - love reading about Geisha life.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The stamp designed by you is really beautiful. And I'm curious about the others ones.

    The box is stunning, I was pretty sure the feather was real, it's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my that is so lovely! Thanks for sharing.
    The Craft Donkey
    #91
    http://craftdonkey.blogspot.com/2013/11/whats-on-my-workspace-hmmm.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Julie Ann! Congratulations on your GD spotI Just love your box it really is so you! Surely though the main attraction is your fab stamp - and there's more you say - Yay!
    Hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love that stamp, looking forward to seeing your others.
    Hope you had a good day out together.
    Being as you managed to leave the house then I presume that you have 'kitchen Doors' - I do hope so. My kitchen unit hunting was a failure ... ah! well! Wallpaper stays rolled up ....
    Have a good rest of the week
    Bishopsmate #99

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats on your GD spot - you created a fabulous piece of art.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a beautiful box! And congratulations! :)
    Sharon #52

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the piece of art Julie Ann, it's gorgeous. Thanks for swinging by and leaving such a lovely comment. Cx #29

    ReplyDelete
  21. One word - Gorgeous! Congrats on your GD Spot, your box is just fabulous I love how you have made your paper look like bits of old letters and the color is just divine. I hope you have a fabulous week! Danie #31

    ReplyDelete
  22. The box is gorgeous - I really thought that was a real feather! And I love your stamp - it's so professional and so versatile!

    Thanks for stopping by (and to your son too) tell him yes. I am indeed a huge fan or Mr Orbison. Did he mean because of my header? That was a Circle Journal entry for a R.I.P Rockers CJ celebrating dead rockers. I was able to trace back to listening to my Mum's Roy Orbison records as a teen and that being my initial love of Rock, then on to Chris Isaak and it was a mere few steps to Alice Cooper ;) When Craig and I were dating (we met online) In Dreams was our song *blush* because we lived so far away from each other. I'm so glad I saved that page to my PC that eventually became my header as the initial CJ went walkies in the post so I never got it back.

    You should do a version of the face collaboration - your stamp proves you'd be fabulous at it!

    Hugs, Carmen #82

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy WOYWW and congrats on the GD spot. Gorgeous box and your stamp design is lovely. I have a little machine that makes stamps, which I really must get out and have a play with. Ali x #73

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a gorgeous box you have created. Beautifully decorated. Well done on being in the DT of my favourite shop!
    Your stamps are gorgeous. There is a shop in York where you can get stamps made to order and I am sure to your design. if you email me I will try and find it, if you don't find another.
    Hettie 53
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such a beautiful post starting with that feather you created, it is astonishing and the beauty of the box, such a special place for special letters to treasure for a lifetime.
    Gorgeous use of the Paper Artsy stamps and talking of stamps, the talent you have for designing stamps is amazing. I have no doubt that someone will read this post who can help you source a person to create stamps from your designs or that some company will come knocking on your door wishing to have your designs for themselves.
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  26. Super letters box - thanks for visiting me BJ#64

    ReplyDelete
  27. beautiful creations...wonderful stamp design...enjoy the light shining on you.
    Happy Snooping Carole # 97

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh my goodness, that box is fabulous. You are so clever. Your stamp is beautiful, I can't wait to see the others. I thought you would have moved to the kitchen bench now that it is almost finished :)
    Have a great week.
    Von #26

    ReplyDelete
  29. Such a gorgeous keepsake Julie Ann for storing those lovely handwritten letters. How gorgeous this will look on your desk.

    Crafty hugs from Shirl x x

    ReplyDelete
  30. Congrats on being a guest designer!! Awesome!
    Your box is amazing!! LOVE it! The charms are so pretty!
    xxDaniella#10

    ReplyDelete
  31. Awesome WOYWW post!
    Would love for you to share this at Inspire Me Monday at

    Create With Joy
    http://create-with-joy.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Big Congratulations on being a Guest designer...WOW...your box is amazing the texture & colours... Love the idea of using a feather...Your stamp is really Beautiful...Love it!! Thank you so much for the great inspiration.... Hugs May x x x

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi Julie Ann HUGE congratulations on your Guest designer spot. I love your box great distressed paper fragments, and the feather looks amazingly realistic. Your Princess stamp is very pretty, I think this could be the start of something good for you if you find a company to take on your designs to make stamps from them. Thanks for the mention, and for your visit earlier. Hugs Mo x

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a beautiful letter box, perfect for storing your treasured missives. I have a letter box that belonged to my great grandmother, what a pretty thing.

    Thank you for stopping by this woyww, Julie Ann, I always appreciate your visits. Congratulations to you!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. It's absolutely glorious, Julie Ann - a fantastic offering for your well-deserved Guest spot... have already left some love over at CVC, and it's lovely to see all those amazing layers building up!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  36. Yikes... talk about late at desk snooping, my apologies for not popping by sooner, but DH was off for a long weekend and I am getting the desk cleared before visitors arrive later this week! Ador the box and feather, and your stamp, you clever sausage!! Annette

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love all the bits and pieces you use! Anyone is extremely lucky to have you as a guest designer or a designer. Your makes are always smashing!
    sandy

    ReplyDelete
  38. Wow wow wow your CVC creation is absolutely stunning, I have popped over there as well. I can believe how much work went into the doing this, I love all the little notes, and all the layering. Your stamp is beautiful, she looks so magical. Happy late woyww. Lots of hugs :-) Kezzy xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete

Due to high level of spam recently I have enabled comment moderation on this blog, so any comments will be moderated before appearing on the blog.