Sunday 10 November 2013

Woodland Walking

Hello from Magpieheaven on this beautiful, sunny winter's morning here! Yesterday afternoon it was pouring hard; mum was having a visit from our dear Auntie Rene and my new kitchen is slowly taking shape, so I actually managed to create a card using some of the beautiful Bo Bunny paper I bought recently along with a Lynne Perrella stamp that I won from a Paper Artsy draw. I would like to enter this for the Artistic Stamper Challenge where this time the goal is to create something for Christmas. This is my first entry for this challenge. I don't have any AS stamps, although a quick look at what they have on offer proved very tempting! No time to buy, though - maybe next time! Here is what I created with what I have.
I made a triple fold card, using heavy white card and then applied a layer of Gesso, thicker in some places than others. I then went over in Fresco Finish Snowflake and added some Frantage Shabby Blue, edging the card with Tim Holtz Distress Ink in Aged Mahogany. I have a new stencil - well it hardly feels new because I'm using it so much - but I just love the effect you can get with it! It's by Clearsnap and they call it a Mascil, so I suppose that's something between a mask and a stencil! This particular design is called 'Winter Tree'. I used Tinned Peas Fresco through it to create the effect of birch trees in the winter woods. There are still a few fragile leaves falling from the trees in December, so I used what was left from punching out a little leaf from my Woodware punch and stencilled some leaves over my background. My colours were being dictated by the warm shades of my Bo Bunny paper. My great loves are cool and icy blues; but this time I came out of my comfort zone and experimented with golds, reds and greens together. The paper is double sided and cordinates well, so I punched out little Christmas trees from an X-cut punch to look like postage stamps. I then used a Lynne Perrella postmark stamp and a sentiment from her Christmas plate, stamped with Versafine Olympia Green onto card painted with Fresco Pumpkin Soup and a touch of London Bus. I clear embossed and accented with Classic Treasure Gold. Because my card is a bit of a Christmas parcel, full of bits and pieces, I tied it together with some seam- binding dyed with Aged Mahogany.
If you flip the card over you will see the image from the Bo Bunny paper that I fell for! I have to confess I was out of my comfort zone with these colours but that deer appearing out of the mist stole my heart! It reminded me of a walk my husband and I took one Boxing Day. We were strolling through the woods when suddenly the silence was broken by a family of deer that magically seemed to appear from the mist between the trees. After a few timid seconds looking at us warily, they were gone. If you dropped by on Wednesday, you will know I felt a little anxious about using these papers - would this be cheating? I have tried to add my own touches by stamping script from a Paper Artsy Mini, edging with DI, adding my own painted and inked leaves and snowflakes cut from a Tim Holtz die and - of course - cutting the paper into a tag. If you click on the image you can see that I carried through the stencil of the birch trees and there is Frantage, Mica flakes and little red pearls to resemble berries.
Here is a close up of the effect on the tag.

I gave my deer a tiny glittering eye with a careful touch of Stickles!
And then when we open the card...As always, if you want to see in more detail just click on the image.
I used a Tim Holtz die this time with Snowflakes cut out of it and contrasting paper stuck over the back. I 'fussy' cut out pieces of the Lynne Perrella image, which I then layered a little differently when I stuck it back onto the tag. She is clear embossed over red Versafine Ink and then the rays behind her image are frantaged with copper.
Although I was using a warmer palette with this card, I wanted to give an ethereal quality to my woodland walk and evoke the atmosphere of a winter afternoon, so I used Sage Fresco for my trees inside the card. When I had finished this card I felt as if I had been for a walk among the trees with the twilight just beginning to drift down through the branches and a final touch of winter sun glancing through. Thank you so much for taking a look today and 'Thank You' Artistic Stamper for all the inspiration from your DT and for running your challenges.

15 comments:

  1. What a lovely card, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your beautiful card with The Artistic Stamper Julie Ann. Gorgeous art!
    Alison xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. How gorgeous and so different from a regular card making this some very special indeed.
    A lovely rustic feel to your creation yet at the same time it speaks of elegance.
    Julie Ann, thank you for your visits and comments to my Blog, I am so happy we have "discovered" each other.
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  4. A stunner, Julie Ann! I adore the tiny leaves embedded in the frantage; I love the ethereal woodland silhouettes inside the wallet; the deer is beautiful, and I love the fragments of text dancing across the tag too. Thank you so much for sharing this gorgeous creation with us at The Artistic Stamper.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello my sweet cousin, your card is a MASTERPIECE.. So much work, truly amazing, and you have achieved your goal, taking us on that magical walk with you with your creation. I looooove the background with that fabulous new stencil, I could never get tired of seeing it, especially when you have used in different ways. I love the tiny stamps you created, love the leaves stamped and cut out, the postage stamp, just beautiful The first tag, oh my, fabulous background, loooooove that deer, he looks magical with the snowflake and tiny berries, fabulous, I'd like to touch it, love the texture. the seam binding, I have that aged mahogany, it never looked like that for me, I love the color, I'll have to give it another try. THEN you open the card for a second fabulous tag, so much work, love the way you changed the stamp giving her a whole new life, just the inside alone with the trees is gorgeous.. Holy Magpie Miss Julie Ann, your creating is making you SOAR high in the sky, thanks for taking us along with you, hear the Parliament cheering, it's wonderful, thanks for sharing see you soon. Hope you have a wonderful week, ((( BIG HUGS )))...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another fabby make Julie Ann especially the reindeer tag inside.

    Crafty hugs from Shirl x x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that is a stunning card.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well that deer has stolen my heart too Julie Ann. A mascil is a new one to me but I really like your results. Gorgeously atmospheric work. Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely woodland walk! The tree mask is perfect but best of all is your lovely tag, the frantage, the text, the Lynne Perrella image and the deer with his lovely sparkly eye - beautiful! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow... this is such a gorgeous card! Julie Ann. I love the beautiful patterns and textures. There are so many fabulous details. Great design! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely card Julie Anne, the colours are perfect for the woodland setting. Love how you have used the frantage, mica flakes and small punched leaves to give depth and texture. I would not be able to resist that beautiful deer either. Hugs Mo x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow - this has a very mystical look about it - loves the leaves with the frantage.
    Your deer is certainly from another world and adds to the special feel of your card. Very creative but you always are creative!!!
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow wow wow absolutely gorgeous stunning, I love how you always have the tiniest details perfect, you always think of so many exciting stories, I would love to be in your head lol. Sorry so behind. Last week my sisters fiance was rushed into hospital, so it's all been too much for her after the death etc. I love frantage, and I love how you have done reds, greens and golds autumnal colours. Catching up lol. Lots of hugs :-) Kezzy. p.s your bits will be posted Friday. I missed my daughter going last week as my sister was in a right state. Hope you and your family are okay. Hugs xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete

Due to high level of spam recently I have enabled comment moderation on this blog, so any comments will be moderated before appearing on the blog.