Wednesday 18 February 2015

Dragons Dream tio - Pink and Hearts!

Hello and Welcome to Magpieheaven. I didn't use pink that much - until now, that is - and I have never considered myself a 'pink' sort of person!



However, this fortnight over at The Dragons Dream our lovely and talented new 'teamie', Catherine  has chosen the recipe, and it's Pink and Hearts. We'd love you to join in with your take on this. as we really enjoy seeing what you come up in response to the Dragons' recipes. Remember that your 'make' must be some kind of tag and it must feature at least one real stamp.



 I wanted to explore hearts in a surreal way. I created an enchanted rain-forest where pink hearts flutter through the trees, the home of Blue Skies, the Colour Muse - she makes ART! The other day while I was having a play with the new PaperArtsy colours and stamps, I created two little Bird-woman tags. Do you ever imagine yourself with a Muse, a kind of magical being who inspires you to create? I think mine would be a Bird-woman. She would remind me of sunny days and bright blue skies and dragon-flies with iridescent wings.




I began by covering a jumbo tag with Caribbean Sea, one of Lin's fabulous new colours, which are brightening my life at the moment! I added some dry brushing in Beach Hut and just the slightest touch of Inky Pool around the edges. Then I stenciled Lin's leaves in Hey Pesto around the edge. I just bought this great sentiment stamp from Red Lead and I stamped this three times onto my tag in Wendy Vecchi Cobalt Blue Archival. It reminds me of myself as a child. I loved to make little books which I illustrated. They were so poorly spelled I'm sure they were like a foreign language and only I could read them, but they brought me so much pleasure to create.



Now I looked through my stamps and saw that this lady's image featured a heart: I decided she would make the perfect Birdwoman and this little character hopped into being! The Red Lead label stamp was the inspiration for her name. Her body is one of Lin Brown's fantastic new Wicked Chickens in Blush Fresco, edged with Inktense and some Bourgainvillea stencilling.



Next I took an MDF heart and mixed up some transparent Prima crackle with a tiny sprinkling of Primary Element in what turned out to be a very bright pink. I've really been enjoying playing with Primary Elements, as just a little creates such intense colour and you can have experimental fun adding them to different gels! Here I had to be patient because the crackle takes some time to dry. You can see that the centre was not yet dry, but I was still keen to try out these wings!



I also created some of my own Washi tape using these lovely Darcy birds; a Lin Brown stencil and some Sara Nauman script stamped with Chalk Fresco.




Inktense pencils are great for adding detail to faces. I trimmed the tag with some die-cut lace scrap book paper. The little wooden dragon-fly was painted and stamped and then sponged with Versamark, dipped in clear UTEE and heated until he looked like china.



Thank You so much for looking at my Pink Hearts tag. I do hope you will be inspired to create your own tags, whether they have a traditional vintage valentine look or they put a new slant on the Pink Heart theme. Happy Creating!

16 comments:

  1. oh what a gorgeous tag - am loving Lin's new colours too!! (as you saw!) The text stamp is fab, too. not seen that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is thoroughly gorgeous. I just love looking at it. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous Tag Julie Ann, not a pink girl myself but you have used it in a fab way which has toned it down very much so quite acceptable. Great attention to detail and the sentiment stamp is lovely :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah! You have taken up your Pink challenge and carried it off so well! What a gorgeous tag Julie Ann! I love that lil peep!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. How I love this fantastical creation. I so wish I could take a walk inside your head because your imagination is inspirational.
    Julie Ann, I have that Redlead stamp and have a scheduled blog post to share a card I made using it for my background. I immediately zoomed in on it on your artwork and was so happy to see you create with it because I think it is a fabulous stamp, I was drawn to this stamp for so many reasons.
    You carried off this pink challenge, there is no doubt about that!
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love your bird woman muse! What a adorable tag and great use of that pink :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a gorgeous tag and magical world in there Julie Ann! Lovely bird with pink fern costume and handmade tissue tapes, brilliant pink crackle heart... Wonderful the tag's colour arrangement. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it, love it, love it. The colours, images and the composition. Well, just everything. Did I say I loved it?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful, Julie Ann--you know I love your style, pink or no pink--but in this case, definitely yes pink!!!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! That's a fabulous combination of colours! Your tag is really striking Julie Ann! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brilliant.. as always. Love the text in the background and pink crackle heart!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's pink that I can get on board with - it looks amazing with the Caribbean Sea - so zingy. And your birdwoman looks right at home in her exotic setting! Lovely use of the words to create background detailing and the crackly heart is gorgeous.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Uh Oh!! Meant to come and comment after seeing this on my phone! Those colours really sing and I love the Bird-woman(really am going to have to try this!!) Hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  14. So many details! I'm just loving this tag and your story through the making of it. I've never had much luck with crackle stuff but you make me want to give it another chance!

    Carmen x

    ReplyDelete

Due to high level of spam recently I have enabled comment moderation on this blog, so any comments will be moderated before appearing on the blog.