Saturday 7 February 2015

Rubber Dance - A love of Music!

Hello and welcome to Magpieheaven. Over at Unruly Paper Arts, I have recently been introduced to a stamp company by the name of Rubber Dance.



I was delighted to discover their blog and to find that they run a challenge! I just had to have a go so I am linking this project to Rubber Dance Stamps blog here. This project is a card for my Great Uncle's birthday on Saturday February 7th. My Great Uncle Derek is 90 years old today, and music has been a real joy to him all his life - especially the songs of his favourite 'crooner' Bing Crosby! One of his earliest memories is of his beautiful Mum, Matilda (also the name of my daughter), singing. She had a sweet soprano voice and sang at concerts.  Rubber Dance had set a colour scheme and a theme for their challenge - Red, Blue and Brown and - as this is February - Love. This, however, could be the love of anything you like. For Derek, I chose the love of music.



I began by stamping the music script onto a craft card, using Wendy Vecchi's Red Geranium Archival Ink, blending some of the ink over the edges of my card. Above you can also see the elements I gathered together for this card: a masterboard painted with PaperArtsy Fresco blues and reds, stamped and stenciled and then with some Wendy Vecchi gold embossing paste pressed through a Prima stencil of flourishes and a strip of red paper cut with the Tim Holtz lace die.



White highlights on the figure playing the violin brought the image to life, I thought. I could imagine her playing in flickering candle-light, so I touched the image with yellow Inktense and a little water too. I also stenciled the paper that I used for this beautiful, Rubber Dance image with some Wendy Vecchi Potting Soil Archival ink. The heart is die-cut from waxed paper, coloured with Florentine Treasure Gold by PaperArtsy and stamped with the music script from Rubber Dance in Stazon black ink. The little bird embellishment has been painted with Space Cadet Fresco Finish by PaperArtsy.



I recently bought a punch board for making envelopes, so I created one especially for this card using Chatsworth scrap-booking paper by PaperArtsy, edged with Wendy Vecchi Red Carnation and that music script again. Washi tape, brown clocks finished off the vintage effect...



Here are the card and envelope together. I love the sentiment too, 'Where words fail, music speaks.'



Here is the front of the envelope. I was rather pleased with the position of the flower...



So here is the card all sealed and ready to give to my dear Great Uncle Derek with a little bottle of our own home-made Sloe Gin. We are throwing a lunch party for him so I hope he will like this card made and sent with love. Happy Birthday to Great Uncle Derek!



Thank You for stopping by Magpieheaven today and for looking at all these pictures! I hope that you too have a wonderful weekend full of the love of whatever makes you happy!

20 comments:

  1. I love that quote and image julie Ann! Your card is beautiful and I just love that chatsworth handmade envelope with the washing tape. What a perfect detail!

    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a perfectly lovely card for your dear Uncle Derek.
    Those colors and your design are oh so very pleasing and the words say it all.
    Happy Happy Birthday to him!
    At one time when my father was younger he looked a bit like ole blue eyes.
    Enjoy the celebration...
    oxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday, Great Uncle Derek! :-)
    How sweet of you to make a card for him, and how extra special to fit the theme with his love for music. I'm delighted to see how you have used my stamps! Thank you so much for entering it to our February challenge - glad to see you there! :-)
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful card and I like the story behind it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful card for your G.Uncle ,Julie Ann~ I especially love how you layered it. And bless his heart - Uncle Derek,on his 90th birthday! I have heard that music keeps the mind young-so her's to lovely music and many more birthdays-for us all! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. HUGE Fan of Rubber Dance stamps, just got my second sentiment set & have my eye on 3 more!

    Gorgeous birthday card for a lovely left he led Julie Ann. Such a fab share:-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful card, Julie Ann - from that lovely musical background to the fabulous glow of the colours, and for such a music lover as Derek it's great that the music spreads even to the envelope! I hope he's been celebrating grandly today!!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look fabulous Julie Ann xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful card! Happy birthday to Derek! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful card! I hope you all had a good sing song! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  11. How beautiful Julie Ann and I am positive Great Uncle Derek was thrilled with it. I totally agree with you over the white highlights on the focal image. It makes the frills look as though they are made of chiffon or some other transluscent fabric..... so pretty!

    Hugs
    Lesley Xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow Julie Ann your Great Uncle is going to love this. Such a lot of love has gone into the creation of a card to mark a special birthday. Thank you for playing along with the colour challenge over at Rubber Dance!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous, Julie Ann--those are beautiful stamps, and you certainly did them justice with your elegant card.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Julie Ann! What a wonderful card and so creative. The background is fabulous. I also love the envelope.
    Mar x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful and a matching envelope too. Thanks so much for playing at Rubber Dance. Some of us will see you again next month at Unruly as we are sponsors again YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful!!! Thanks for joining the Rubber Dance challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fabulous and thoughtful card for your uncle. I'm sure he'll be pleased as punch with it. Lx

    ReplyDelete

Due to high level of spam recently I have enabled comment moderation on this blog, so any comments will be moderated before appearing on the blog.