Monday 13 May 2013

Magpie's Midnight Crafting!

Hello to anyone who has stopped by Magpie Heaven today and I hope you're having a happy Monday! Once again I thought I might not play along with Paper Artsy this week - much too busy...then over at http://blog.paperartsy.co.uk/ France Papillon had created a fantastic, vintage journal cover.
 I spent the post Christmas period working on a 'winter journal' inspired by Lynne Perrella's wonderful work and now I needed a cover so how could I resist the temptation to play, even though it was nearly 11-00pm when I decided to start?
I had done my journal in a hard-bound A4 size W. H. Smith sketch book with a smooth, black cover; not as nice for altering as the Paper Artsy journal France used. However, I found that rubbing with one of the sanding blocks from Paper Artsy made it much easier to paint with Frescos and to stick on embellishments. I had intended to simply play around to see if it was possible to punch holes in the journal cover with the Crop-o-dile. Discovering how easy it was to do this I just had to play on and on, altering the journal cover! Mr Magpie was on his lap-top ordering a new 'hands-free' phone so that I can receive calls and craft on (!)  but he went off to bed long before I finished. I had no Paper Artsy waxy paper, but I did have some ordinary brown waxed paper that I used for protecting  altered book pages, so I stamped this with a Tim Holtz background stamp of vintage script, clocks, a camera and film. Believe it or not - I don't have a brayer - always wanted one; but never got round to buying! I crinkled and distressed and painted and edged with Treasure Gold and - although the effect was not as good as France's - I quite liked it. I found lots of Tim Holtz grunge bits and pieces: hinges, key etc in my craft cupboard and altered these with Crackle Glaze.
My Grunge Paste had also arrived and I was excited to start using this! At 1.30 a.m there I was stencilling, painting and gilding and distressing to my heart's content. I distressed a torn label; stamped with the same T.H background stamp as on the waxed paper and added washi tape clocks and a torn collage piece from a Retro Cafe Art sheet. I also added a tiny shrink plastic doll head from a Lynne Perrrella winter stamp plate. If you click on the photo above you might just be able to see it attached to the label.
Just lately lots of the guest designers have been using corrugated cardboard in their projects so round about 2.00am, I decided to give that a go too! This is probably why 'Winter' looks a bit like it's had one too many hot toddies! I loved playing with the corrugated card, though!
                                   
I was determined to use my new Paper Artsy paint Guacamole which I combined with my favourites: Butternut, Sky, Smoked Paprika, Chocolate Pudding and Beach Hut with Snowflake to 'knock back'. The distress inks are Walnut Stain and  Aged Mahogany. My cover is not as understated as France's tasteful creation. Because winter is a time for fairy-tales, I always feel, I had wanted my journal to capture the idea of fairy stories and treasure hoards and - being a magpie - I must have my shiny bling! I added blue gems to the hinges, key and lock, which symbolizes the way that winter locks secrets and treasures into the ice. I enjoyed this project so much. Thanks to France for introducing some great ideas and getting me inspired! I wish I could have added some sewing, but the machine belongs to my daughter and I dared not sneak into her room to snaffle it and disturb her sleep at that hour - she's a very scary 19 year old who guards her sewing machine with her life
. I can't wait to see what's next over at Paper Artsy! Before that, though, I must go and prepare for this evening's students. Thanks so much for taking a peek at my midnight crafting in Magpie Heaven! I photographed this midday today, by the way! I didn't stay up until dawn to do it!



12 comments:

  1. I love the crackle on the findings. Great colours. I find the best time to craft is the wee small hours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie this is gorgeous...so much going on..the colours and all the findings you've used look fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow gorgeous stunning book cover. I have to admit she really has me inspired as well, won't get chance to work on mine though until Wednesday it certainly won't be as late though lol. Happy Crafting :-) hugs Kezzy xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your book cover looks fabulous, love all the touches you've added. Hope you get to watch Monday's video, it is great fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. omg Julie Ann this is amazing, I cannot believe you only started this at 11pm all Magpies I know are in bed getting their beauty sleep at that time but not this one, and hey it obviously works for you to come up with something so wonderful. All your colours and textures are lovely. Am going to pop over to paperartsy now to see Frances work that inspired you. Hugs Mo x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super job, love all the elements xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm always fascinated by people who can craft all night long, I need my sleep! :) Your journal cover is gorgeous, I love all the texture.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The journal cover is BEAUTIFUL,love the hinges, gorgeous colors,love the texture and who wouldn't love a fairytale, thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  9. seems blogger my comment! let's try again!

    you rocked this: you really made it yours and i love that! so happy you felt inspired :)))
    you'll have to cut a deal with your daugther if you want to play with her sewing machine next time ;)

    xx
    france

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic cover ! Love the grunge look, the crackle, paste and all the little embellishments.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm usually another crafter who is best in the very early morning hours. I think it's something to do with the rest of the world around me being asleep ..... including the dog, lol!

    Your journal cover is gorgeous. You achieved a fab effect with your waxed paper and the crackle on the grunge pieces is a great addition to the texture. Love the little shrunk piece on the tag! Lots and lots of things on here that really like .... fab piece of crafting!

    Hugs
    Lesley Xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! This looks amazing Julie! Fantastic textures & effects!
    Have a great weekend,
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete

Due to high level of spam recently I have enabled comment moderation on this blog, so any comments will be moderated before appearing on the blog.